I have been working on a LOT of new pieces and I am finally ready to show you one! I call this piece This Old Thing?:
This piece began with picking apart a sweater that I didn’t want anymore. This thing was like putting on a shirt made of plastic wrap. It was so hot and so uncomfortable, but I really liked the colors in it, so I unraveled it. I forgot to snap a picture before I started the destruction of the sweater, but you can get the idea of what I was working with from this piece:
I separated the unraveled yarns into piles of the base colors of red, yellow, purple, and white. I knew I wasn’t going to make another wearable item with theses fibers, so I tied the pieces together to make big yarn balls of each color (I will note that as I picked apart the sweater, I noticed the manufacturer tied each of the colors together to make the joins—most crochet folks frown on that because they are uncomfortable and can come undone with wear).
Since that sweater was so confining, I wanted to make shapes that were open and airy. I came up with these little cup forms, then attached them to a black wool background that I crocheted to match the size of the canvas I was going to be using. I attached the cups to the background, attached black felt to the canvas, then attached my piece to the felt.
This piece is ready to hang from a wire attached to the back of the piece.
You can see more photos and purchase This Old Thing? in my Etsy shop.
Until next time,
I am going to have two pieces in the upcoming Hands Across Missouri Exhibit in Chillicothe, Missouri. This is a juried exhibit put together by the Missouri Artisans Association/The Best of Missouri Hands. I’m taking my pieces to Chillicothe tomorrow, and I might be just a little excited to be in my first juried show.
My pieces include Bulldog Landmines, which I wrote about when it was included in the 12x12xMoFA exhibit last year:
My second piece is one I finished a couple of months ago. This is one is called Waste Not Want Not:
I originally conceived this piece as a rug, but for display purposes, it hangs on the wall. I used numerous bits and bobs of yarn leftover from past projects for this piece. All of those scarps can turn into something big (around 3 feet across) when you put them all together. This piece also reminds me of the rag rugs my grandma had at her house (a lot of grandmas had those rugs).
Hands Across Missouri opens June 2, 2017 and runs through July 7, 2017. The exhibit will be at the Cultural Corner Gallery in Chillicothe, MO:
Cultural Corner Art Guild & Gallery
424 Locust Street
Chillicothe, MO 64601
Tuesday through Friday: 10 AM – 4 PM
Saturday: 10 AM – 2 PM
Closed Sunday and Monday
There will be an opening reception on June 2 from 6 PM to 9 PM. The reception is free and open to the public.
Until next time,
A few weeks back, I showed you some yarn I dyed with natural dyes. Today, I have one of the pieces I made from that yarn to show you. This is In the Weeds:
I made a large mandala from my yarn. It is earthy and muted and I am quite happy with it.
I started my mandala on the computer. I drew a chart for several rounds of the piece, but I wanted to get to crocheting, so I didn’t draw out the whole thing, and even the part I did draw, I didn’t make a full 360-degree chart of—just the parts I needed to get me going on each round.
I made it six or seven rounds in before I started deviating from my chart. I love the look of the bullion stitch when made with a chunky yarn (those are the coil-looking stitches in light yellow in my mandala), so I made a bunch of them. This gave me a bit of waviness in my piece, which is not usually something you want in a mandala or doily, but in this case, I thought it worked, especially since I knew I was going to be mounting my piece so it could hang on the wall.
My finished mandala is about 16 inches across, so I got an 18-inch square canvas to attach the crochet to. Mounting crochet to hang is something that I am still getting the hang of, but this piece was fairly easy to mount. I dyed some wool felt with tea to get my tan background color, then stretched it around the canvas and stapled it down with a staple gun. I had to put the canvas on the floor to do my stapling. I needed the support of the floor on the base of the stapler to work against as I squeezed the trigger because I don’t have the hand strength to just go shooting off a staple gun willy nilly (probably for the best).
Once the felt was attached, I stitched the mandala to the felt with beige all-purpose thread.
I loved working with these natural dyed fibers. I’ve dyed a few more yarns since, and I have almost completed another piece with those yarns.
Until next time,